- Professor of Mathematics at Southwestern University
- Chair of the Curriculum Committee
- Co-founder, co-organizer and co-instructor of SU EQUIP Summer Program
- Associate and Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Southwestern University, 2007-2018
- Chair of the Enrollment and Retention Committee, 2015-2016
- Science Advisor, NPR's Studio 360, Science and Creativity series, 2015-2016
- Advisory board member, Art.Science.Gallery in Austin, TX, 2013-2016
- currently teaching Fall 2017: Geometry, Linear Algebra, Explorations in Mathematics
- for more information, click here.
Student research with Robert Lehr, class of 2015
Recipient for the 2018 MAA Carl B. Allendoerfer Award for expository excellence of papers published in Mathematics Magazine in 2017.
- A. Crannell, M. Frantz, F. Futamura, The Image of a Square, Amer. Math. Monthly, 124 no. 2, (2017) pp. 99-115.
A. Crannell, M. Frantz, F. Futamura, The Cross ratio as a parameter for Dürer's solid (Party game for a 500th anniversary) J. Math. Arts, 8 no. 3-4, (2014), 111--119.
- On the shortlist of four papers considered for the 2016 JMA Outstanding Paper Award
- A. Crannell, M. Frantz, F. Futamura, Dürer: Disguise, Distance, Disagreements, and Diagonals! Math Horizons, 22 no. 2, (2014) 10-11.
- Reprinted in: The Best Writing on Mathematics 2015, Princeton University Press, 2015.
- R. Denman, F. Futamura, K.C. Richards, On sharp frame diagonalization, Linear Algebra Appl., 438 no. 5, (2013) 2210-2224.
- F. Futamura, Frame diagonalization of matrices, Linear Algebra Appl., 436 no. 9, (2012) 3201-3214.
- F. Futamura, Localizable operators and the construction of localized frames, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., 137 (2009) 4187-4197.
- F. Futamura, Symmetrically localized frames and the removal of subsets of positive density, J. Math. Anal. Appl., 326 no. 2, (2007) 122-1235.
- F. Futamura, Banach framed, decay in the context of localization, Sampl. Theory Signal Image Process., 6 no. 2, (2007) 151-166.
AWARDS AND GRANTS
- 2018: MAA Carl B. Allendoerfer Award for expository excellence of papers published in Mathematics Magazine in 2017
- 2015: Dr. Lawrence Musgrove’s Visual Thinking for Engaged Learning grant, $500, funded by the Presidential Innovation Grants Initiative
- 2012-2014: NSF-DUE Type I grant #1140113, $69,432, a two-year grant to write a textbook on Projective Geometry Applied to Perspective Art (together with co-PI Annalisa Crannell's portion, $73,344), National Science Foundation
- One of 125 awards out of 1050 submitted proposals.
- 2011: AIBL Small Grant, $4000, a grant to create an inquiry based learning math and art course, funded by the Educational Advancement Foundation
- 2009: Faculty-Student Project Research Grant, $7590, a grant to do research with a student for his honors thesis for 8 weeks, Southwestern Univerisity
- 2009: Brown Innovation in Teaching Award, $9000, a grant to research innovative pedagogy and organize a teaching workshop, Southwestern University
- 2007: B.F. Bryant Prize for Excellence in Teaching, Vanderbilt University